To get anonymous Internet access and circumvent region restrictions, users turn to VPNs for help. But it’s about the price of internet performance. In this article, you will learn how to improve your VPN connection.
- The distance between you and the VPN server is one of the biggest factors that can reduce your Internet speed. If you choose a more remote connection location, the connection will be sent much farther to the destination and back, resulting in a slower upload and download. The most popular VPN services, such as ExpressVPN, RitaVPN or CyberGhost, have a selection tool that automatically selects the nearest server. Always select a server in your VPN software that is as close as possible to your location.
- Software downloaded to a computer, smartphone, or tablet using a VPN is called a client. It deals with the entire VPN administration at the end of the connection. Even if you already have a router that can act as a VPN client, you can improve the performance of your VPN connection by purchasing a router with faster hardware.
- For a VPN service, you typically download the application for computers and mobile devices. VPNs typically offer higher performance to premium users because their global network can not run for free. So you can pay a subscription fee for using the service and signing in to the application through your account. Then you get a better experience.
- The choice of protocol directly affects the encryption strength, but it can also affect the speed separately. Most VPN services include a protocol that can be changed in the Application Settings area. For example, if you use a stronger encryption algorithm, the encryption of the data transmitted through VPN takes longer and the decryption takes longer when the traffic reaches the destination. Change this option in the VPN application settings and speed up the VPN connection.
- sometimes the slow VPN speed can be fixed by simply restarting the router or the Wi-Fi network. The router or Wi-Fi network attempts to update the received connection as soon as the device is restarted. This provides better signal reception and better internet performance. It may be a good idea to restart your router or internet connection from time to time to ensure a stable connection.
Try these tips and enjoy faster Internet access. If it doesn’t work, you should think about changing your VPN.