Exif data is of great significance to both beginner and experienced photographers. You can tell the camera settings that you took the photo with. While others may not happy to see that each photo they take stores some confidential information in the Exif data. And they will suffer great losses if such information is exploited by people for malicious purposes. Thus, you should leave as little personal information as possible online. Besides, you’d better remove the Exif data before you share a photo on the Internet. Here are some ways to remove Exif info.
What information does Exif data contain?
Exif data is added to your photo automatically when you take it. Exif data contains much personal information, such as:
- Copyright information
- GPS location
- The date and time that you took the photo.
- Camera model and maker
- Camera settings like ISO speed, white balance, aperture, focal length, shutter speed, and lens type.
How to remove Exif data from your photos?
Windows file explorer
You can get ride of Exif data easily by using your Windows PC. Follow the instructions below to view and edit the Exif info of your photo.
- Find the photo you want to share with your friends.
- Right-click the photo.
- Choose “Properties”.
- Tap “Details” when you see the properties tab.
- View the information for the photo, such as resolution, exposure time and so on.
- At the bottom of this properties window, tap “Remove Properties and Personal Information”.
- Then, you will see two options. You can either create a copy of this photo with all possible properties removed or remove properties from the original photo. The second option also allows you to choose the properties you want to remove.
- Tap “OK” and the properties you chose will be removed.
Sometimes you may fail to remove the Exif info by using the Windows file explorer. Thus, you need to use third-party apps to clear Exif data. There are many apps on the market for you to clear Exif data in just a few clicks. For instance, ViewExif for iOS users. You can choose one reliable app that meets your needs.
To sum up, we recommend you avoid sharing photos that contain Exif info. You should be careful with your personal information while surfing on the Internet. If you connect to a VPN, you will be able to stay safe and anonymous online.